Route Sales Relief Driver
Location: Sauk Rapids
Reports To: SR Operations Manager
Job Status: Non-Exempt
Purpose of Position
The Route Sales Relief Driver is responsible for filling in as a Route Sales Driver when needed to complete assigned deliveries and pick up of merchandise while providing top service to customers at business sites. They also will complete emergency deliveries that arise on a daily basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Fill in as Route Sales when an employee is absence, which consists of the below items:
- Drive standard route of up to 150 miles per day and deliver merchandise to customers in a timely manner
- Confirm all items are loaded and unloaded off of the truck for the daily delivery route
- Ensure delivery of appropriate merchandise in accordance with customer invoices and process necessary paperwork
- Scan all products on and off truck during daily loading, unloading and at all customer drop off/pick up sites
- Sell welding equipment, materials and supplies to customers using technical knowledge, advising and trouble-shooting customer problems
- Return credit merchandise with appropriate paperwork and inform appropriate personnel
- Complete dock and tailgate stops on route. Checks empty cylinders and replace; have bills signed and perform sales and customer service tasks
- Provide customer with receipt and/or credit form for merchandise to be delivered/returned
- Make/take telephone calls and create future orders for customer requests and coordinate delivery schedules
- Work with customers to expedite or locate missing, misrouted, delayed or damaged merchandise
- Operate company vehicle in a professional, safe and courteous manner following all traffic rules
- Perform daily safety inspection on truck; check turn signals, tires, prepare and complete all DOT compliance paperwork
- Assist Route Sales in loading/unloading of trucks with materials for regular delivery
- Complete emergency deliveries to customers as they arise
- Paint cylinders according to requirements in designated area
- Serve as a liaison to sales and other managers, report on progress, communicate to appropriate personnel to enhance customer service/support
- Assist in maintaining a neat and clean workplace at all times
- Perform other job duties as assigned and fill in for other employees in their absence
Education, Experience & Skills
- High School diploma or equivalency
- 3-5 years of truck driving experience desired
- Class A license with Hazardous Material Endorsements required, Tanker Endorsement preferred
- Basic knowledge of gases, cryogenics i.e. pressure and compatibility preferred
- Industry experience such as handling cylinders is desired
- Effective oral and written communication skills and basic customer service experience
- Must be organized, have good reasoning skills, math aptitude and time management skills
- Safety gear such as steel toe boots, safety glasses, gloves and hard hat when appropriate
- Tractor Trailer with tailgate lift, 2 wheeler, handcarts and pallet jacks
- Company billing and order entry software, known as TIMS
- Various plant tools including but not limited to scanner, ratchet straps, chains, bungee cords, etc.
- Ability to sit 4 to 5 hours a day with frequent standing, walking, twisting, bending, reaching, pushing/pulling, grasping, and repetitive motions.
- Frequent lifting of 10-35lbs is required, may at times lift up to 75lbs.
- Continuously pushing/pulling 10-50lbs and frequently 50-100lbs, on occasion may push/pull over 100lbs.
- Must have the ability to work in moderately warm or cold conditions where high noise levels are possible.
- Capable of traveling 50% of your day delivering products and working extra hours as needed.
- Ability to “walk” cylinders daily.
Please send your resume or download and complete the application below, then send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxygen Service Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, military service, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. We are strongly committed to this policy and believe in the concept and spirit of the law.